In my earlier blog post on how to create a blog: a Bluehost review, I shared with you how to get a blog and why you should use Bluehost for your hosting. I mentioned that, you need a domain name and web hosting /web server before you can have a paid WordPress blog /website.
Let me reiterate that, Bluehost continues to provide one of the best web hosting services. I have a good experience with them and I recommend it to you.
Now, after reading my first article, you may be wondering how to actually start your blog. If you haven’t read the article, kindly read it before you proceed; how to create a blog: a Bluehost review. Just so you can have a clearer idea about what blogging is. I have explained below the steps you need to get a professional WordPress blog /website.
How do I start a blog?
1. Decide on the Domain Name
The domain is the unique name you want people to call your blog or website. For instance, the domain name of my blog is ‘wealthvogue’. It is that address people will use to find your blog /website on online. So try to brainstorm as many names as possible.
I don’t even remember exactly how I came up with my domain name but I remember having a page full of possible names. I eventually settled on wealthvogue.com, which I think it resonates with the blog.
So, you can decide to either use your name such as abigailobeng.com or ellenmusk.com for a personal blog. You can also consider a name that tells what your blog will be about.
Lets say you love cooking and intend to write about recipes, a domain like “cookbook.com” sounds perfect to “longrind.com”. Are you with me?
Now, let me add one more thing about domain names. Always make sure not to add numbers your domain name or pick a name that is not easy on the ears. Your blog should be easy to pronounce or remembered.
2. Register your domain name
Now that you have pick your domain name, you need to registered it with a web hosting provider. I recommend Bluehost. With them, the domain registration is free for the 12months plan as long as you buy it through Bluehost.
If you prefer a better plan beyond 12months, Bluehost also offers a 36months plan at a great and reduced price. I will recommend the 12 month plan for a blogging newbie.
3. Buy web hosting for your blog
If you decide to get the free domain, buying the hosting from Bluehost with the free domain are all in one step. I have already mentioned in the previous post the good reasons why you should choose Bluehost.
Now, let me talk you through the cost elements of your blog, assuming we are going with the 12months plan.
The 12 months plan is really cheap and costs just $2.95 (Gh¢21.80) per month, which should be $35.40 (Gh¢261) per year at the time of writing. The other item you may want to pay for when it comes to blogging is the Domain Privacy Protection, which is only $0.99 per month. This is so that your contact information stays safe. This cost is already part of the $35.40 amount. This how the purchase process looks like;
When you select the 12months basic plan, some the items on the left would be checked at an extra cost. But we don’t need them now, so you will have to uncheck them except the two items checked in the image above. That is all you need for now. Here is the process;
- Go to Bluehost and click the “Start building” button.
- Click on the package you are interested in.
- Sign up your domain name or enter an existing domain name you already have.
- Enter your personal and payment information.
- Next you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it’s secure as this information is very important.
Install WordPress on Bluehost
All roads lead here. Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog, and it is FREE.
- After you create your password, Bluehost guides you through exactly what you need to do in order to start a blog.
- First, Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. So just pick a random theme or the one you like. You can change it later, anyways. You can also scroll to the bottom and skip this step.
- Click on “Start Building”
- On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – what you want your blog to represent. Or, you can click the “I don’t need help.”
Congratulation! You are now the newest blog owner in town, haha. Moving forward, you will have to work on the design and perfect a few things.
Remember I mentioned in my previous post that I will offer you a 5 days FREE assistance if you purchase your web hosting through this link; Bluehost Affiliate? Well, the offer still holds.
Tips to get you along with your WordPress blog if you don’t need my help.
Install these plugins;
- Jetpack is the ultimate toolkit for WordPress. It gives you everything you need to secure, speed up, and grow your site in one place.
- All In One SEO is the ultimate SEO plugin for WordPress and will help your blog rank higher in search engines such as Google.
- Wp Super Cache will make your blog load a lot faster and handle more traffic.
- Akismet is a spam protector which kills off the comment spam. It will make your blog spam free.
- If you are looking to actually design your blog, you can install the Astra theme.
Thanks for reading. If you found this helpful, kindly click on the like or share button below.
WealthVogue will earn a commission from partner links when you click to sign up or make a purchase, at no cost to you at all. This commission do not influence our research, opinions or evaluations of our partners.